FromSoftware’s latest game has a lot in common with its celebrated Dark Souls series, but due to the nature of its open-world level design, boss encounters come in two different varieties: the conventional kind that starts when the Players go through a wall of fog and get locked in an encounter and a new style of open world that starts when a boss spots the player, but can be escaped by running away. After starting your adventure in the Elden Ring, you’ll find this last guy almost immediately, though you should probably ignore him at first! Once you’ve leveled up and returned, here’s how to beat the Tree Sentinel in Elden Ring.
As mentioned above, you should ignore the Tree Sentinel for a while until you’ve leveled up. You probably already know this if you’ve tried taking it below level 15 or so. In fact, we didn’t beat him until level 23, several hours into our quest in The Lands Between.
How to beat the tree sentinel in Elden Ring
The Tree Sentinel is a fast moving mounted boss that can quickly close distance and deal massive damage. Not to be underestimated, but she’s actually pretty easy to beat once you understand her movement patterns and have enough health to take a couple of hits and can deal enough damage with each of your own attacks.
You should also have the Wandering Noble Ashes or the Lone Wolf Ashes, which serve as a useful distraction.
Note that we beat the Tree Sentinel as a magic-focused astrologer build, using only the Glinstone Pebble basic attack. However, if you have a different build, you can still apply this strategy, though we’d suggest investing in a bow so you can hit the Tree Sentinel with ranged attacks. Approaching this boss is dangerous. This is a battle best fought from a mounted position, so you’ll want to stay in Torrent for the duration.
Here’s a step-by-step breakdown:
- Start by deploying Ashes of Wandering Noble or Ashes of Lone Wolf on the Sentinel Tree path. As you mount Torrent, flank him and wait until he faces the ashes. This is your cue to fire magic damage, lightning, or run after him and land a hit or two.
- After you have the Tree Sentinel, he will start chasing you. Run away (don’t run) and keep your distance while circling him. Eventually, once he gets close, he will finish an attack. This is when you should run away by pressing Circle/B. Then, after he misses, he fires spells/bolts or quickly flails him for a melee attack.
- Repeat this process. Don’t take unnecessary risks. This is a slow and careful strategy that may take a bit of time but will ultimately keep you safe. Remember to have your flasks ready to replenish HP/FP when needed.
- The Tree Sentinel usually uses two variations of a charged melee attack, but can use his shield to deflect magical attacks and will sometimes charge against you with his shield. Be prepared to run when this happens.
- After you have defeated the Tree Sentinel, you will be rewarded with the Golden Halberd.
That should give you everything you need to know about how to beat the Tree Sentinel in Elden Ring. Be sure to search for Twinfinite or check out our guide wiki for more tips, tricks, and info on the game.
If you have a specific question that you can’t find an answer to anywhere on the site, feel free to reach out in the comments section below and we’ll do our best to help.