Horizon Forbidden West marks the first new exclusive exclusive to PS5 in 2022. Continuing the story of 2017’s Horizon Zero Dawn, Forbidden West sees players take on all manner of mechanical beasts as Aloy searches for answers about violent storms. and deadly. plague that is spreading across the Earth. To make sure you’re enjoying the experience the way you want, you’ll want to dive into Horizon Forbidden West’s Graphics Modes — Performance and Resolution — as these can change how the game feels and looks. So, let’s dive into that.
All Horizon Forbidden Graphics Modes and what they do
- Favors performance – Favors a higher frame rate with lower fidelity. In our experience on PS5, the dropdown in visual fidelity is not that noticeable.
- Resolution – Favors higher fidelity at a lower framerate. Based on our experience on PS5, the frame rate seems to be higher than 30fps.
Changing graphics mode in Horizon Forbidden West
Change the graphics mode in Horizon Forbidden West:
- Press the Options button on your controller to open the pause menu.
- Select ‘Settings’ and use R1 to go to the ‘Visual’ menu.
- At the top of this you will find ‘Graphics Mode’. Switch between Resolution and Performance modes here.You can change them at any time while playing.
Performance vs resolution: which should you choose?
Having played over 50 hours of Horizon Forbidden West, we spent a lot of time in the Performance mode of the game.
The silky-smooth frame rate makes a world of difference when Aloy is climbing a cliff, or when he’s in the thick of the action fighting machine and human enemies alike.
While resolution does take a hit on performance, it’s hardly noticeable, especially when you’re busy concentrating on ripping those components out of machines or galloping through the Forbidden West on the back of a charger.
Ultimately though, this comes down to personal preference, and if you’re not concerned with frame rates, you’ll probably want to stick with Resolution for the most pixel-perfect image.
That’s all you need to know about Horizon Forbidden West’s Graphics Modes Performance and Resolution. For more tips, tricks, and guides, head over to our wiki, or check out more of our coverage below.
- PlayStation program to plant 3 trees each time this Horizon Forbidden West trophy is unlocked
- Horizon Forbidden West LEGO Tallneck & Aloy available May 2022
- Horizon Forbidden West Review: Best of the West
- Horizon Forbidden West Accessibility Features Detailed by PlayStation
- Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut gets Horizon Forbidden West Gear and more with new update
search to get more