Tea Forbidden Horizon West Slithering Fang is the giant snake-shaped machine that you will find at the beginning of the game. It is quite large and can spit acid, which will deal significant damage to Aloy if the attack lands. To help you defeat this slippery snake, we’ll walk you through the best method to quickly destroy Slitherfang and disable some of his most powerful attacks.
The Slitherfang is a huge, fast fighting machine that can attack from long range. When in the coiled position, he has access to his entire arsenal as his rotating body parts snap into place.
All Slitherfang components in Horizon Forbidden West
- Body: The hard outer shell protects its synthetic muscle and operating systems.
- sonic hood: Large, vibrating metal plates found on the back of the Slitherfang. They are only vulnerable when they spread. Detach or destroy them to disable the Sonic Blast ranged attack.
- earth crusher: Serrated earth beaters capable of crushing almost anything they catch. Boot to collect.
- Glowblast Canister: Glowblast storage. Power up to collect this resource or shoot with a plasma arrow to detonate.
- Bite metal bag: Metalbite storage. Destroy to disable acid attacks or leave intact to add loot to the corpse.
- Spark: Shock Storage, found on Slitherfang’s side. These blue canisters can be started to collect this resource, or shot with a shock arrow to detonate them.
- Purge water container: Purge water storage. These canisters can be started to collect as a resource or shot with a Purge Water Arrow to detonate.
- Acid Canister: Metalbite storage. These are green canisters found on the sides of the Slitherfang. Pluck them out to collect them as a resource, or shoot them with an Acid Arrow to detonate for massive elemental damage.
- Resource Container: A storage container for valuable resources. Start to collect its content.
- Data nexus: Central processor. Especially vulnerable to damage if exposed. Found deep in Slitherfang’s chest.
- Purge water bag: Purge water storage. Destroy to disable Purgewater’s attacks or leave it intact to add loot to the corpse.
- Shock Orb: Three Shock Orbs can be found at the end of Slitherfang’s tail. These are used to power all Shock attacks and spin around to charge.
Easily beat Horizon Forbidden West Slitherfang
Exploit their elemental weaknesses
As formidable as Slitherfang may seem, he’s actually relatively easy to take down if you know where to focus your attacks. You can make even lighter work of this mechanical snake by exploiting its Frost, Fire, and Plasma damage weaknesses.
If you have weapons that have this type of elemental ammo, it will make defeating Slitherfang much quicker, though in the case of the first boss fight, you’ll need to focus on exploiting his weak spots and using his own weapons. Against.
Use his weapons against him and target the weak points
Your priority here is to focus on taking out the Shock Orbs at the end of his queue. Not only are they relatively large targets, once eliminated, but they can also be used as a heavy weapon against Slitherfang and disable all of his Shock attacks.
With the weapon that the Shock Orbs drop, you’ll want to focus on the Sparkers to the front and sides of the Slitherfang (or your left if you’re looking at it head-on). As the weapon deals shock damage, you’ll trigger a massive elemental reaction that deals heavy damage to the Slitherfang itself.
Once eliminated, it’s time to take care of the Earthgrinder just below the head, at the front of the machine. You can use your standard arrows here (if you’re facing them early in the game), or use the precision or Tear Precision arrows if you have access to them to make it easier to break this apart.
Finally, use any of your arrows to focus on the Metalbite Sac in front of the Slitherfang, just below the Earthgrinder.
By destroying this, you’ll cause a huge explosion, disabling all of his Metalbite-based attacks and dealing significant damage.
Keep your distance and dodge to easily avoid Slitherfang’s attacks
At this point, the Slitherfang won’t have many attacks left, so you can just focus on taking out the other parts of it with your arrows. Just keep your distance and you’ll be able to avoid most of the attacks and lunges he attacks you with.
Now that you know how to beat it quickly, we wish you happy hunting down those Slitherfangs in Horizon Forbidden West. For more tips, tricks, and guides, head over to our wiki, or check out more of our coverage of the game below.
- Horizon Forbidden West Praise Trailer Meets Warm Critical Reception
- PlayStation program to plant 3 trees each time this Horizon Forbidden West trophy is unlocked
- Horizon Forbidden West LEGO Tallneck & Aloy available May 2022
- Horizon Forbidden West Review: Best of the West
- Horizon Forbidden West Accessibility Features Detailed by PlayStation
search to get more