Horizon Forbidden West has finally arrived, bringing the next chapter to Aloy’s story as she ventures west into the territory of the Tenakth tribe. With the plague spreading across the globe, fierce storms threatening the last remnants of humanity, and the rise of formidable new machines, Aloy ventures to get to the bottom of these mysteries. To help her fend off enemies, Aloy now has Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West that can help turn the tide of battle in your favor, as well as weapon techniques that focus on landing special attacks with the different weapons in the arsenal. by Aloy.
In this guide, we’ll focus on explaining Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West, including unlocking and equipping them, using them in battle, and how you can upgrade them to make them even more effective.
Unlock Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West
Valor Surge is purchased with skill points from each of the six different skill trees in Horizon Forbidden West. These are the largest ‘icons’ on the skill trees and are in the middle of each one. We’ve included a screenshot showing a Move Value below.
Select the Move Value you’d like to unlock and hold X on your controller to unlock it, just like you would any other node in skill trees.
Value surges from each skill tree tend to give you a buff based on the focus of that skill tree.
For example, the Hunter skill tree’s value surges focus on improving the effectiveness of ranged weapon attacks, while the warrior trees focus on melee attacks with Aloy’s spear.
Equipping a value move
- To equip a Valor Move, press the touchpad on your controller and navigate to the ‘Abilities’ tab.
- Press X on the skill tree that contains the unlocked Valor Move you’d like to equip.
- Highlight the Move Value with your cursor and hold Square to equip it.
Using Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West
- Fill your value meter by earning value with skillful play.Ways to gain value include hitting a machine’s weak spot, ripping components, and defeating enemies. The Valor Meter begins to fill purple in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- When your valor meter is full, hold L1 to open your weapon wheel.
- Press R1 while holding L1 to activate your currently equipped Valor Surge.A short animation will play when the special ability is activated. The duration of Valor Surge depends on what you have equipped and the “level” you upgraded it to.
All value surges and what they do
- Critical Boost – Gain a higher chance to critically strike and increase critical damage. – Warrior skill tree
- Melee Might – Attach a power module to your spear to deal more damage with melee attacks for a limited time. – Warrior Skill Tree=
- Elemental Fury – Strengthen your resolve and increase the stack and effects of elemental attacks while gaining increased resistance to elemental damage – Trapper Skill Tree
- Trap Specialist – Increases the effects of traps and tripwires while this Valor Surge is active. – Trapper skill tree
- Ranged Master – Strengthen your resolve and deal more damage with ranged weapons for a limited time. – Hunter skill tree
- Powerful Shots – Deal more damage for a certain number of shots with Bows, Boltblasters, Ropecasters, and Spike Throwers. Power shots don’t consume ammo.
- Hardened – Consumes a special potion to restore health and gain resistance to status effects. Health recovers every two seconds, the amount of which depends on the “level” of the Valor move. – Survivor Skill Tree
- Overprotect – Activate a special arm guard based on ancient technology to gain a rechargeable energy shield that absorbs damage. Shield also recharges when it runs out if Valor is still available. – Survivor skill tree
- Stealth Stalker – Activates a cloaking device to decrease the visibility of enemies. Aiming a weapon or using melee attacks temporarily disables the device. – Infiltrator skill tree
- Radial Blast – Attach a supercharged module to your spear and immediately fire a powerful shockwave, damaging all enemies in the vicinity. – Infiltrator skill tree
- Part Breaker – Deals more damage to machine components and weak points. – Machine Master Skill Tree
- Chain Burst – Strengthens your resolve against multiple enemies. Chains damage from one enemy to another within 15m and increases knockdown power. – Machine Master Skill Tree
Upgrading Valor Surges in Horizon Forbidden West
Once you’ve purchased a Valor Move, you can upgrade it further to improve its effectiveness and the duration of its effects.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to do this:
- Open the skill tree and select the Move Valor you want to upgrade.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, you’ll see ‘Upgrade’ next to the square button indicator, along with the number of skill points it will cost you to upgrade.
- It will cost you three skill points to upgrade your Valor Surge to level 2 and five skill points to upgrade to level 3.
There’s everything you need to know about Horizon’s Forbidden West Waves of Valor. You are now ready to use them to your advantage in combat to turn the tide of battle in your favor. For more tips, tricks, and guides, head over to our wiki, or check out more of our coverage of the game below.
- PlayStation program to plant 3 trees each time this Horizon Forbidden West trophy is unlocked
- Horizon Forbidden West LEGO Tallneck & Aloy available May 2022
- Horizon Forbidden West Review: Best of the West
- Horizon Forbidden West Accessibility Features Detailed by PlayStation
- Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut gets Horizon Forbidden West Gear and more with new update
search to get more