Weapon techniques are one of the ways Horizon Forbidden West builds on its predecessor’s excellent combat mechanics, along with Valor Surges. As their name suggests, Weapon Techniques are special moves that consume Weapon Stamina, marked with a yellow bar in the bottom right corner of the screen. They can make attacks more powerful or change the way a weapon works or affects an enemy. In this Horizon Forbidden West Weapon Techniques guide, we’ll explain how to unlock them, change weapon technique, and use them in combat.
Weapon unlocking techniques
Weapon techniques are unlocked by purchasing them with skill points from the six different skill trees.
These have a pentagonal shape and are labeled as weapon techniques when you hover over them, as shown in the screenshot above.
Changing Weapon Techniques
To change your weapon technique, hold L1 to bring up your weapon wheel and select the weapon you wish to use.
Before you release L1, you should now see, just below the ammo types in the center of the wheel, a small menu of icons between the left and right arrows on the d-pad. Press left and right on the d-pad to cycle through the techniques you’ve unlocked for that weapon.
Using weapon techniques in Horizon Forbidden West
- Select the weapon you want to use on the weapon wheel and make sure you have selected the weapon technique with left and right on the d-pad .
- Press L2 to aim, then press R1 instead of R2 to use your weapon technique.
- Note that this will deplete the weapon’s stamina. The amount of which will depend on the technique used. Weapon stamina automatically replenishes over time.
That’s all you need to know about Weapon Techniques in Horizon Forbidden West. For more tips and tricks, head over to our wiki or check out more of our coverage of the game below.
- PlayStation program to plant 3 trees each time this Horizon Forbidden West trophy is unlocked
- Horizon Forbidden West LEGO Tallneck & Aloy available May 2022
- Horizon Forbidden West Review: Best of the West
- Horizon Forbidden West Accessibility Features Detailed by PlayStation
- Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut gets Horizon Forbidden West Gear and more with new update
search to get more